1st Period Friday (7:30-9:20 a.m.)
A study of the Old Testament historical books, beginning with Joshua and the conquest and ending with the post-exilic period of Ezra, Nehemiah, and Esther. Items such as an author’s overall purpose and the basic flow of the biblical material as well as historical, theological, and textual problems are covered.
- An Introduction to the Old Testament Historical Books, by David Howard, Moody.
- Chronological and Background Charts of the Old Testament, by John Walton, Zondervan.
- A Survey of Israel’s History, rev. ed. by David O’Brien, by Leon Wood, Zondervan.
- Giving the Sense: Understanding and Using Old Testament Historical Texts, by David Howard and Michael Grisanti, Kregel.
- The Art of Preaching OT Narratives, by Stephen Mathewson, Baker.
- Israel from Conquest to Exile: Commentary on Joshua to 2 Kings, by John Davis & John Whitcomb, BMH.
- The ESV Crossway Bible Atlas, by John Currid and David Barrett, Crossway.