Greetings from the President
During college, one of my professors challenged our homiletics class like this: “You’re a preacher of the Word—so mind your business!” As a college student, the wisdom of those words inspired me. As a pastor, the wisdom of those words amazes me.
Preaching the wonderful Word of God to others is greatest business you could ever undertake. It’s the most awesome calling and responsibility you could ever accept. That’s why preaching requires diligent preparation and demands the highest level of faithfulness.
The heartbeat and lifeblood of Detroit Baptist Theological Seminary is the “business” of preaching. Our aim is to glorify God by preparing you to study the Word and proclaim its authoritative message to men and women in local churches.
By God’s grace, we are confident that we can fulfill this purpose. We will immerse you in serious study of the original languages along with theology and exegesis/exposition of the Word itself. We will challenge you to ground your life and ministry in knowing the God who has called you to salvation.
If God is burdening you to pursue the “business” of preaching, then come to Detroit Baptist Theological Seminary. We’re eager to prepare you for the exciting privilege of making disciples in the local church.
David M. Doran
Greetings from the Dean
Is God directing you to ministry of the Word? What a privilege. There is no greater joy than to exalt God by expounding his word.
Yet, Paul challenges those who are handling the word of God to do so with skillfulness. That’s because preaching and teaching God’s word is serious business. The Bible is living, active, and sharper than a two-edged sword. It pierces soul and spirit. It contains the words of life. Speaking on behalf of God and shepherding the flock of God demands the highest level of preparation.
So why prepare for the ministry of the Word at DBTS?
- Our Vision: At DBTS, God’s glory rules the pursuit of all other goals. Our desire is to spread the fame of our God throughout the world.
- Our Mission: DBTS exists for the glory of God to serve local churches by shaping faithful men for the gospel ministry through the word of God.
- Our Values: DBTS values the Scriptures. The word of God permeates everything that we do at DBTS. It serves as our source of absolute truth. We believe the word of God is a treasure to be prized, studied and shared with all because it:
- Reveals the eternal plan of God to glorify himself through the redemptive work of Jesus Christ.
- Centers on the person of Jesus Christ, the incarnation of the Godhead and embodiment of truth.
- Our Impact: DBTS shapes men for ministry in many ways:
- Through deep study and personal application of the Word.
- Through personal relationships with peers and professors.
- Through service in local churches and engagement in the life of others.
Of course, “none but He who made the world can make a Minister of the Gospel,” as John Newton once said. The divine shaping process includes mentors, friends, churches, families, and life experiences. Seminary is often at the core of a minister’s spiritual transformation.
If you are interested in a seminary that treasures the Scriptures, honors the church, encourages relationships, and exalts our God, we would love to talk with you further. Our desire is to serve you as you serve God.
If I can be of any help as you consider the next steps in your life, please let me know.
Brian L. Trainer