Detroit Baptist Theological Seminary

3 Jan 2017

Bible-Reading Plans for 2017

/
Posted By

This year marks the 500th anniversary of the start of the Protestant Reformation. Martin Luther, a seminal figure in this religious renewal, posted his 95 theses in Wittenberg on October 31, 1517. Years later, in a sermon reflecting on the power behind the movement, Luther acknowledged the supremacy of the Word of God: “I opposed indulgences and all the papists, but never with force. I simply taught, preached, and wrote [of] God’s Word; otherwise I did nothing. . . . I did nothing; the Word did everything. Had I desired to foment trouble, I could have brought great bloodshed upon Germany; indeed, I could have started such a game that even the emperor would not have been safe. But what would it have been? Mere fool’s play. I did nothing; I let the Word do its work” (Luther’s Works, 51:77–78).

In light of this Reformation heritage, 2017 is a great year to dive deeply into God’s Word. I would encourage you to focus on practical, measurable, sustainable ways to feast on the Word in 2017. Below is a list of popular Bible-reading plans. If you’re not already committed to a reading plan, why not begin today? As Luther suggested, the Word of God will do the rest.

2 Responses

1. Mark

Thanks, Dr. Dunham. I have been looking for a digital version of Dr. Smallman’s Bible reading plan. It has been my favorite for over 20 years due to its flexibility. You choose where to read and how much, and it also incorporates the gauge to know how far off the target you are at any given moment to finish by the year’s end. Thanks for posting this!

1. Kyle Dunham

That was the plan I used during college in my first (successful) effort to read through the Bible in a year. For that reason, it’s always been a favorite of mine as well. I’m glad it will be useful to you!